Thursday, February 17, 2011

Your third short story...

This one is an absolute cracker!  I've always enjoyed reading this one to students...the subject matter of the story is purely coincidental of course.  You'll see what I mean when you read it.

Despite being kind of a horror/thriller story, it has some really nice use of language in it too.  Pay attention to the way the author is able to paint a picture for his audience with a sophisticated use of language, imagery and the detail with which he writes.  As you read, you can clearly imagine the setting, events and characters he is writing about.  This style, or use of language, might be something you experiment with and try and incorporate into your own writing.

This week's story is by the famous horror writer, Stephen King.  I first discovered this story in the short story collection "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" which was published in 1993.  The story was first published, however, back in 1972 in an American magazine called "Cavalier".

Stephen King wanted to include it in his short story collection called "Night Shift" which was published in 1978, but was talked into dropping it from the book by his publisher.  It didn't see the light of day again until "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" came out around 17 years ago.

That's how I eventually became familiar with it and now I'm passing it on to you guys.

Enjoy.

"Suffer the Little Children" by Stephen King

Hally

2 comments:

  1. This was very different and very... weird, but I still enjoyed reading it. I could imagine the setting and the characters, as stated I was given a clear picture of it, the author has the ability to make you feel you are part of the story through his writing. I would enjoy other Stephen King stories, because they keep the reader intrigued and involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always really enjoyed the way Stephen King creates a story, it's always so unique and brilliant.

    ReplyDelete